UC Merced features interdisciplinary research, connecting physics research to chemistry, life sciences and engineering. Our collaborative faculty work with students on a broad range of research topics.
Astrophysics theory: Sarah Loebman, joining the faculty in fall 2020
The physics group also includes affiliate faculty from other UC Merced graduate groups. Physics students may also carry out their physics graduate research with these groups.
- Venkattraman Ayyaswamy: plasma physics (Mechanical Engineering)
- Mehmet Z. Baykara: tribology and surface science (Mechanical Engineering)
- Mike Colvin: biomolecular simulation (Chemistry and Chemical Biology)
- Arvind Gopinath: biophysics (Bioengineering)
- Shilpa Khatri: fluid dynamics (Applied Math)
- Sarah Kurtz: solar energy (Materials and Biomaterials Science and Engineering)
- : functional material synthesis (Materials and Biomaterials Science and Engineering)
- Victor Muñoz: biophysics (Bioengineering)
- Elizabeth Nowadnick: materials and interfaces (Materials and Biomaterials Science and Engineering)
- Alex Noy: biomaterials (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
- : theoretical chemistry (Chemistry and Chemical Biology)
- Anand Subramaniam: biomaterials (Bioengineering)
- Tao Ye: bio/nano interfaces (Chemistry and Chemical Biology)